Saturday, March 26, 2016

5 Day Western Caribbean Cruise

Jeff and I love cruising!  Our first was many years ago to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.  We did a 7 day Royal Caribbean Cruise at that time (and loved it!).
Several years later, Mom took us girls and our husbands on a 10 day Hawaiian cruise which was wonderful.  Our last cruise was another one that Mom provided in 2008.  It was a 10 day Northern European cruise.  I have sure had the cruise fever the last couple of years but with Jeff's diagnosis of Meniere's disease in 2013, he just didn't think he could do another one.  My sister and her husband recently discussed going on an Alaskan cruise this summer and had mentioned it to me. So that got me thinking about going on another cruise. Alaska is definitely on Jeff and I's bucket list someday but knew we couldn't afford it this year.  
I get a lot of emails with deals on cruises.  Less than a month ago, I got an email that included a great deal on a 5 day cruise at the same time as our Spring Break here (which is a slower week for Jeff).  It happened to cost the same as a love offering Jeff received in January for doing a conference in Arkansas and we had "free" airline miles that would cover our flights.  So I convinced him to let me book it -- with the thought that doing a "short" one, if he was miserable, it wouldn't be for very long :-).  We knew it would probably be the best week or the worst week!
Well, thanks to many folks' prayers (and a new medicine the doctor started Jeff on the week before we left), it was a wonderful week!!  Jeff didn't have a single dizzy spell.  Thank you, Lord!
We flew into Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on Sunday night, March 13th and boarded our ship around 1:00 p.m. on Monday.  We cruised with Celebrity Ship Lines on their Constellation ship.
Our room was very comfortable.  I LOVE having a steward come into the room twice a day and straighten it up, put out clean towels, etc.  
This was our first time to have a balcony on a cruise and it was absolutely wonderful!  Won't ever cruise again without one!
A picture of us shortly after boarding the ship.  Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale behind us
We sailed out at 4 p.m. that Monday



Tuesday was an all day sea day (which we sure enjoyed).
Working on my BSF lesson

My balcony nap set up :-)
Jeff did lots of reading (on his Ipad--he has hundreds of books there) and also took many naps.  It was just what he needed!
Wednesday morning, we docked in Cozumel, Mexico. 

We did get off the boat and walked around for a while, but didn't do any excursions or anything special.  I can now say I've been to Mexico -- not sure I care to go back :-).
We were back on the boat before lunch.  That afternoon, I did spend just a little time around the pool. It normally was so crowded, but since many were off the boat exploring Cozumel, I found a lounge chair and did a little sunbathing and reading.  But it didn't last long -- the sun was hot.  That was the only time I even put on my swimsuit (which those of you who know me, will find that surprising!).  I have always loved the water, sunbathing, etc.  But I can tell I'm getting old...and it just didn't appeal to me this time.  Instead I spent much of my time on my own balcony reading, playing games on my Ipad, etc.
Each night, we ate in the main dining room.  The first night, we were seated at a table for 7, but only Jeff and I showed up.  That was kinda a relief as on our first cruise, our table mates were Puerto Ricans that spoke very little English and liked their alcohol, so we didn't enjoy our evening meals.
But on the second night of this cruise, they put us at another table of 6 but only 1 couple were there and the 4 of us enjoyed each night thereafter eating together.  Their names were John and Barbara; originally from Long Island, lived in KC for 13 years and now retired in Florida.  They had done a lot of traveling and so we enjoyed getting to know them.  Very nice people.

Thursday was another sea day and then Friday morning, we docked in Key West, Florida.  The sunrise that morning over this pretty little town


We did get off the boat again that day and really enjoyed several hours in Key West
Our room was on the 7th deck so one of those room was ours :-)


We didn't go inside this museum but it had a lot of neat statutes surrounding the grounds





We rode a trolley that day and got a very interesting tour of the island


We were able to get off and on the trolleys, which we did several times


Key West, which is a Florida island, is known for being the closest point to Cuba (closer than to the mainland of the US)

This was as close as we got to a "beach".....
Friday afternoon, leaving Key West and cruising all night to get back to Ft. Lauderdale


We had perfect weather all week!
On Saturday, we were back in Ft. Lauderdale, where we would disembark shortly :-(
Our travels home didn't go near as smoothly as the rest of our trip.  A 2 hour delay at the Ft. Lauderdale airport meant we missed the only connecting flight out that day in Charlotte to Springfield.  So, much to our dismay, we had to get a hotel in Charlotte Sat. night to fly home at 11 on Sunday morning, which meant we missed church.  So thankful that Pastor Aaron Polok was willing to preach in Jeff's absence!

This is a scan of the only professional picture we bought during our time on the Ship.
Now that we know Jeff can do the cruising without problems, 
I'm sure we will do another one (Lord willing!).  
Very thankful for a wonderful and relaxing week together!

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Sounds like a wonderful and very relaxed-filled cruise! :)

    ReplyDelete